2022 Meat and Poultry Inspection Readiness Grant
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) is now accepting applications for the Meat and Poultry Inspection Readiness Grant (MPIRG). Approximately $23.6 million will be available to fund projects under this solicitation, with a maximum award amount of $200,000. Applications are due May 24, 2022.
What is the purpose of the MPIRG? The MPIRG assists meat and poultry slaughter and processing facilities with costs to make improvements and plan other activities necessary to obtain a Federal Grant of Inspection under the Federal Meat Inspection Act (FMIA) (21 U.S.C. 601 et seq.) or the Poultry Products Inspection Act (PPIA) (21 U.S.C. 451 et seq.); or to operate as a State-inspected facility that is compliant with the FMIA or PPIA under the respective Cooperative Interstate Shipment (CIS) program. Facilities operating under State inspection or facilities currently only conducting operations exempt from Federal inspection are eligible.
Seeking to obtain a Federal Grant of Inspection under the FMIA or PPIA in the 50 States, American Samoa, the District of Columbia, Guam, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, including those managed or owned by Tribal entities; or
- Seeking to operate as a State-inspected facility compliant with the CIS program under either the FMIA or PPIA by the end of the period of performance.
Facilities with operations that are currently exempt from Federal inspection under the FMIA and PPIA but are seeking to obtain a Federal Grant of Inspection under the FMIA or PPIA are also eligible. Exempt operations may include, but are not limited to Custom, Retail, etc.
Modernizing or expanding a facility where a GOI or CIS is being sought (including expansion and modifications to existing buildings and/or construction of new buildings at existing facilities);
- Modernizing processing and manufacturing equipment (including cutting equipment, mixers, grinders, sausage stuffers, smokers, curing equipment, pipes, motors, pumps, and valves);
- Meeting packaging and labeling compliance requirements under applicable law (including sealing, bagging, boxing, labeling, conveying, and product moving equipment);
- Meeting occupational and other safety requirements under applicable law;
- Developing processes to ensure food safety;
- Accounting for costs associated with becoming an inspected facility (including HACCP consultation, employee training or technical assistance related to inspection, etc.)
Purchase or lease land.
Construct/build a new facility.
Duplicate activities of a project that has received a Federal award from another Federal award program.
Claim expenses that have been or will be reimbursed under any Federal, State, or local
What are the funding levels for this program? Approximately $23.6 million is available for this solicitation. The maximum award amount is $200,000.
Is there a cost share or match requirement? This funding opportunity does not have a Federal cost-sharing or matching requirement for fiscal year 2022. Such information should not be included in the FY2022 submitted application. However, there is a $1:$1 matching requirement for subsequent MPIRG fiscal years (FY2023 and beyond). Therefore, applicants are strongly encouraged to consider applying in FY2022.
Project Duration: The maximum period of performance for this grant is 36 months.
Applications are due Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 11:59pm Eastern Time.
The full Notice of Funding Opportunity can be found here.
For more information on this grant or how to apply with Morrison’s assistance, please contact the Morrison Grants Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 530-893-4764.